Monday, July 27, 2009

Greek Yogurt and Ezekial Bread

So, I have been hearing about Ezekial Bread from my good friends Charlie and Kristene for a long time, and then I heard Jillian Michaels raving about it. So I had to try it, right? I picked up the sandwich sliced bread and the cinnamon raisin english muffins from my local Sunflower Natural Foods store. The sandwich bread is super dry. I like it toasted with a bit of pb and j, most often though, just a bit of pb. It's too dry and too whole for Brian. He's not loving it, so it wont work for my family. We usually love sandwiches, and I feed him two sandwiches for dinner the first night we had it, and that was the last sandwich he has eaten. NOT A SOLUTION... totally a new problem. So we'll have to go back to wheat bread until i can find something better. I really want a bread that doesnt have HFCS, or soy. I'll keep searching. I'm really loving the english muffins for breakfast, with a little bit of peanut butter. I know that the whole world seems all hung up on Almond Butter, but I have a full jar of peanut butter, so I'm going to finish that off first.
I also picked up some Almond Breeze Milk from the Sunflower. Yeah, the almond milk has the best milk alternative consistency for sure. My first couple sips though, I gagged on. Nothing really prepares you for the taste of nuts in a liquid form. I got really used to it. I used some chocolate Quik in it, and that was freaking fabulous. I put it on my cereal and even enjoyed drinking the last of it, and by the end of the carton I was drinking it by the glassful.... but alas, it's not really an option for my household because my husband is allergic to nuts, and refuses to touch the stuff... not sure if the nut allergens are in the almond milk, but I'd rather not risk it, myself. So Jillian Michaels did the research for me and has been telling me of some of the ill effects of having too much soy in your diet, and how estrogenic it is. Seeing that I have already got some sort of estrogen problem, I'm thinking I am going to pass on it. So after trying everything else, I think that my family is going to go back to moo milk. Yep, I totally went off the deep end hating milk this summer, and now that i have come full circle in my research, it really is the best choice. I'll be buying ORGANIC clean milk for a long time now. I think my husband is relieved. He has gone the whole summer with my alternative milk experiments, and I have noticed that the cereal boxes stay around longer.

Anyway, my amazing delicious wonderful find from the grocery store this week was Oikos Greek Yogurt (Honey) OMG, so freaking delicious. I will not be able to live the rest of my life without this. And it is conveniently located in my regular grocery store. I dont even have to drive all the way to the Sunflower for it.... although, I'll still be making trips to the Sunflower for my english muffins and some other natural organic clean yummy food.